Custodia – Why we do what we do.
The story started several years ago when we were looking for a disaster recovery solution for a client - we realised that a tested, secure and complete solution was simply eye-wateringly expensive.
After a little more research we realised that most solutions were not aimed at SMEs and the solutions that were affordable did not offer what we would consider a complete solution. After over a year of testing and development, we put together our over 20 years of risk management and data security experience and started Custodia Continuity.
We offer a single solution dealing with Security, Backup, Continuity Planning and Compliance in an affordable package, based on good, old-fashioned relationships and support; no dashboards, no DIY solutions, no waiting on support tickets.
The world of Cyber Security and Data Protection has been a roller coaster over the past 24 months. The introduction of new game changing legislation for data protection regulation (doubtless you have heard of GDPR, & of course, you are by now completely GDPR compliant), increasing data convenience with new software as a service offerings and, of course, the uncertainty of the global political landscape including what on earth happens with personal data in the UK after Brexit (clue: we don't expect much will change, the principles of GDPR are enshrined in UK law with the Data Protection Act 2018).
The ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest) has increased its enforcement actions for data breaches and issued its first fine under GDPR in December 2019. GDPR guidance alone has changed multiple times since 2018 so that policy you worked so hard on... sorry - there's a good chance it now misses the mark..
There are increased threats from hackers and ransomware has become big business, while network security is moving so fast it can become difficult to keep up. This is a crucial time for business, particularly in the small and medium enterprise sector, where these threats and challenges are ever increasing. While the big beasts of industry have the capital and staff to weather the changes and challenges that are cropping up with (unpredictable!) reliability, how can smaller enterprises stay safe and compliant, how can they demonstrate their competence to big clients and stay in the game?
Custodia provides the answer, with the aim of levelling that playing field between large industry and small and medium business.
2019 was a great year for us, we have taken on several big-name clients (we would love to tell you who, but security-wise, all our clients remain confidential) and everyone we have worked with has been blown away by the difference of our offering made to their business and how we were able to wipe away all their worries and concerns about policies, privacy and the security of their business-critical data.
2020 promises more of the same - Mission Critical data continues to be kept safe from prying eyes, the disaster recovery plans are in place, should the worst happen, (giving you extra reassurance on those sleepless nights), & we continue to ensure our customers' are leading the way in their compliance with ever changing data protection standards.
Doing it right first time.
We have found that each aspect of our core four offering (Security, Backup, Continuity, Compliance) is impossible to provide competently without the other three.
Here's a quick run-down of what we offer as standard:
- A full annual data-security audit
- Managed border firewalling to protect your front line
- Managed VPN access to allow secure, encrypted remote working
- Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention, helping to block malicious access
- Remote logging and reporting, to allow proper forensic analysis
- Regular staff training on security and data protection
- From laptops to cloud drives, email to databases and websites, if it's important, it's backed up
- Full backup of your essential data to a double-duplicated, air-gapped (not internet connected), secure location
- Our server locations - there are two - are all self-owned and are so secure they could be used as armouries
- 365 distinct data restore points as standard
- Virus scanning and encryption of all backups
- Protection from malware and ransomware
- On-Premises server containing 7 days of data backup for quick recovery
- Creation and Management of your Disaster Recovery Plan
- Regular testing of your Recovery Plan (if you don’t test it, does it work?)
- Full on-site assistance in the event of an incident at no extra charge
- A full annual data-protection audit
- Creation, management and updating of all your company data policies:
- GDPR policy
- DPA 2018 compliance
- Data Retention Policies
- Modern Slavery Policy
- IT Security Policy
- Bring your own device Policies
- Privacy & cookie Policies
- Data Breach Policy
- Subject Access Request Procedures
- ... and any other policies as required to ensure that you are compliant and stay compliant as legislation changes
- Never worry about your policies going out of date - we keep on top of this for you and re-issue policies regularly
- Easy handbook materials covering cyber security and data protection (because who reads the policies? Well, we do, so you don’t have to!)
All this for a simple monthly subscription. We take a whole swathe of sleepless nights’ problems and deal with them for you, letting you focus on what you do best; running your business. We see data security and data protection compliance as a single offering; the two elements are, quite simply, too closely linked to be treated as separate entities anymore.
To have full security you need backups, to have good backups, you need a continuity disaster plan, and to have a good continuity plan your compliance and policies need to be up to date and complete.
For compliance you need remote logging and intrusion detection….
For everything to work seamlessly, your staff need to be trained.
We call this the sphere of resilience; from border defences like firewalls, all the way to passive security in your offsite backups and the maintenance of your polices and staff knowledge - it all fits together to keep your business safe and let you compete on a level playing field with big business.
This is the Custodia way - you are not on your own, you have access to support as and when you need it, with a real person simply a phone call away (even at 2am!)
Give us a call and see how we can work with you to strengthen your business and prove your competence and compliance for both your current customers and your next big contracts.
Protect your data with the Custodia - the Continuity Experts
Emergency file servers, satellite internet, temporary offices... we can help you plan for any kind of data disaster and make sure your customers keep getting the service they deserve.
All included, 24/7 support - All part of the service.